October 18 AGM
Updated Wednesday August 2, 2017 by Kitchener Sports Association.
PHOTO: KSA member Dave McLelland (a long-time fixture with numerous local minor sports groups - with and without his microphone) was acknowledged at the dinner for his recent donation of his Rangers and OHL memorabilia to the Kitchener Rangers and the opening of McLelland Hall at the Kitchener Auditorium. (Dave is shown with Norm Leblanc, President of the Kitchener Rangers, at the previous announcement of Dave's donation.)
Tuesday, October 18, 2016
Social: 6:00 pm and Dinner: 6:30 pm
At the Edelweiss Sports Bar
Our first "official" dinner of our 72nd season
as we "wrapped up" our 71st.
Attendees heard a brief review of we did in 2015/16 and were invited to be involved in 2016/17 for the betterment of local minor sports programs and athletes.
KSA 2015/16 Recap
- The 50/50 draw, held at Kitchener Rangers home games, netted over $165,000
- KSA's bingo sessions netted over $18,000
- KSA is holding over $33,000, inherited from Civitan Sports Waterloo Region, to be used exclusively for the Athlete of the Year Program
- KSA received $5,000 in income from the KSA Legacy Fund held and operated by the KW Community Foundation. The KSA Legacy Fund now has a balance of over $141,000; only the income from the fund is accessible for use by KSA.
- In the year ending Juneto 30, 2016, KSA disbursed over $182,00 to benefit minor sports groups, local athletes and charities
- Upcoming capital projects? On the KSA radar - Pride Stables for major facility upgrades and money available for others as well!
Attendees heard updates from Pride Stables (renovations are underway with expected completion well before Christmas), ROW Swim Club (undergoing expansion, broadening appeal and programs), the KW Titans (tickets now on sale) and SportsXpress (circulated HockeyXpress and reminded attendees to submit articles for the local magazine). Lots of discussion over finger food while watching the Blue Jays game (the ALCS game they won).
As always, this was an informal meeting. If you're involved in one - or more - of the local minor sports groups or want to become involved with one, our dinner meetings offer a great opportunity to learn about the local minor sports community.
Upcoming KSA dinners:
Volunteer Recognition Dinner is November 22 (note the date!)
No meeting planned for December
January 24, 2017 (Note the date) (Rangers Night)
February 21, March 21, April 18th, (Scholarship Awards)
May 16 (Athlete of the Year) (Site TBD)
We hope you'll join us!
Reminder for local sports groups to get their nominee paperwork submitted for
the Volunteer Recognition Awards - deadline is November 8!
This article has No Comments.
You must be a member of the League and logged in to
post comments. Login here.