Volunteer Recognition Dinner - November 18, 2014
KSA's 26th annual volunteer recognition event
Updated Sunday November 22, 2015 by Kitchener Sports Association.
PHOTO: Kitchener Mayor Carl Zehr received a special KSA Volunteer Award for all he did for the local minor sports community while mayor. KSA's Bob McKillop is shown making the presentation. at the KSA Volunteer Recognition Dinner.
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
KSA's 26th Volunteer Recognition Dinner
At the Edelweiss Sports Bar & Grill.
Kitchener Mayor - Carl Zehr
- Councillor for the Chicpee Ward (1985 - 1994)
- Councillor for the Region of Waterloo (1988 - 1994)
- Mayor of the City of Kitchener (and regional councillor) (1997 to present)
- In addition to serving on all regular standing committees of Kitchener city council, Carl is also an appointee and active participant on many boards and committees, including the Mayor's Advisory Council for Kitchener Seniors (MACKS), Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro Inc. Board of Directors, University of Waterloo Board of Governors, Kitchener Housing Inc. Board of Directors, Centre in the Square Board of Management and Downtown Kitchener BIA Board of Directors.
- Family includes his wife Sandy, 2 adult children and 5 grandchildren
This event was one of Carl's last functions as Kitchener's Mayor. Carl expressed his gratitude, on behalf of the City's residents, for the efforts of the volunteers. It was a special night for everyone, Carl included, as KSA presented him with a special award in appreciation of his ongoing support of the local sporting community. Our local athletes, and sports groups, benefit from all the facilities, sporting events and assistance the City has provided under Carl's leadership. All the best Carl!
Click on photo to pause/activate slideshow, enlarge photo and/or read the caption. (Adobe FlashPlayer is required.)
Volunteer Recognition Award Recipients
- Alison Smerchinski (KW Skating Club)
- Melanie Preiss (Waterloo Boxing Academy)
- Andrew MacKay (KW Youth Basketball)
- Marina Larsson (Laurel Creek Track & Field)
- Ron Mooibroek (Kitchener Minor Baseball)
- Dan Gibson (Sports for Special Athletes)
- Farida Latour-MacHane (Waterloo Region Nordic Sports)
- Greg Blundell (Kitchener Minor Hockey)
- Heike Kaufmann (Waterloo Track 3 Ski School)
- Alfred Wong (KW Badminton)
- Murray McKay (Region of Waterloo Swim Club)
- Karolyn Heubner (KW Special Olympics Ontario)
- Lana Vanderlee (KW Track & Field)
- Kurt Munz (Stanley Park Optimist Ball)
- Mark Sichewski (Twin Cities Minor Tackle Football)
- Jennifer Ohrling (KW Synchronized Swimming)
- Bernie Strauss (Kitchener Sports Association)
- John Watkins (Kitchener Rangers Hockey Club)
- Susan Wheeler (SkateAble)
- Gilles Butcher (KW Sports Council)
- Corinne Williams (KW Predators Volleyball)
- Mark Blasman (KW Sertoma Speed Skating)
- Peter & Charlie Pavlinich (KW Minor Lacrosse)
- Jeff Halloran (KW Minor Boys Softball)
- Kitchener Mayor Carl Zehr (KSA award for his years of leadership championing local minor sports, tournaments and facilities).
Each of this year's 26 award recipients was introduced by a member of his/her sports organization and received a commemorative plaque from KSA. On behalf of all those in the community, especially the athletes, we congratulate these volunteer leaders and thank them, and the countless others, for all they do to ensure we have great sports programs.
KSA cheque presentations made at the dinner included:
- Fee-assistance grants: Kitchener Minor Baseball, KW Minor Boys Softball and Stanley Park Optimist Ball.
- $2,500 to Kitchener Minor Hockey for its Donna's Kids Program
- Travel grant to the KW Synchronized Swim Club
- KSA Hockey Helps the Homeless Legacy grants: $6,180 to the House of Friendship for its "Kids Outdoors Program" (For sports equipment), and $4,500 to Lutherwood to help establish the Bike Program at the Safe Haven Shelter.
It was a very busy, very enjoyable, and very memorable evening!
This article has No Comments.
You must be a member of the League and logged in to
post comments. Login here.